Note: Use of a library laptop must comply with the Library Computer Use Policy.
The UCSB Library has laptops available for checkout from the UCSB Library Services Desk and the Music Library Circulation Desk. All laptops have Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), web browsers, Adobe Reader, and a media player.
Use and circulation information
- Borrowing library laptops is limited to UC faculty, staff, and fully enrolled students who have a valid UCSB library card.
- Laptops do not circulate overnight.
- Files can be saved to the laptop, but they will not be retained once the laptop is powered off or restarted. Please save your work frequently to a USB drive, cloud storage, or email your files.
- Personal software cannot be loaded onto the laptop.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You may not check out a laptop if you have overdue library materials.
- One laptop per person may be checked out.
- The maximum loan period is 4 hours. Because of limited battery power, you may need to check out another laptop (if available) to continue use beyond 4 hours. You must return the laptop to the desk where you checked it out by the due date/time to avoid fines.
- Please do not return laptops to a book drop. You will be billed for a laptop that is damaged in a book drop.
- Do not leave laptops unattended. You are responsible for a laptop that is stolen while it is checked out to you. Unattended laptops may be retrieved if observed, by library staff and your laptop borrowing privileges will be suspended for three months.
- If you notice damage to the laptop or if you discover that an application is not working, immediately notify the desk where you checked out the laptop.
- Wireless printing is available from library-owned laptops to the public printers in the library using GauchoPrint.
$15 for the first hour overdue and $10 per hour thereafter. When a laptop is lost, stolen, damaged, or 24 hours overdue, the borrower will be billed $1000 for replacement, plus a $25 processing fee, and the accumulated overdue fines. The replacement charge will be refunded if the computer is returned in good condition within 7 days of billing; however, the overdue fines and processing fees remain. Laptops returned to the wrong library or after the circulation desk closes will continue to accrue fines overnight.
For assistance in using the laptop, please ask at the UCSB Library Reference or Information Desks, or at the Music Library Circulation Desk.
For questions about circulation and billing policy, please contact the circulation desk at the library where you checked out the laptop.