Research Data Services (RDS) helps UCSB researchers manage and preserve their research data through consultations, long-term engagements, and instructional workshops. Our team offers support across the research data lifecycle, from pre-project planning to post-project archival, connecting researchers with both locally- and externally-provided curation services. Our goal is to ensure that all research data is well-described, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable), and sustainably preservable, and that researchers receive scholarly credit for sharing and publishing data.
We offer the following services:
- Data management planning and proposal assistance
- Funder data management requirements
- Using the DMPTool
- Best practices in data management
- Data management tools and services
- Metadata standards
- Metadata population and extraction strategies
- Data publication journals
- Obtaining persistent identifiers for data
- Data citation formats
- Data copyright and licenses
- Selection and usage of data repositories
- Dryad Data Repository
We are available for consultation and teaching as well as deeper engagements with research projects.