The Department of Special Research Collections acquires, preserves, and makes accessible rare, valuable, or unique materials that support UC Santa Barbara students, faculty, and research programs, as well as the scholarly community. The department's holdings are non-circulating but are available for research in the reading room during posted hours.
Research Appointments Available
Special Research Collections is reopening with expanded services and new hours on Tuesday, July 6, 2021. Research Appointments are required and are available Monday through Thursday, 10AM to 12PM and 1PM to 4PM and Fridays from 10AM to 12PM.
The Library remains closed for general walk-in use.
- Explore our department's digital collections
- UCSB Library's online resources
- UCSB Library's COVID-19 response
All requests to use our department's materials can be made prior to your visit using your Special Collections Research Account. This account offers researchers an efficient way to manage Special Research Collections visits and requests online – anytime and from anywhere. After a one-time required registration process, researchers are able to:
- Request books in advance along with other materials from Special Research Collections (journals, magazines, microfilm, manuscripts, and even audiovisual materials) directly from the Library Catalog;
- Compile multiple requests for an event, such as class visits, lectures/talks, and research visits;
- Order digital scans, photocopies, and audio/video reproductions;
- Track the progress of requests in order to plan visits accordingly and avoid delays and other inconveniences;
- Securely access account history to keep track of previous requests and orders; and
- Pay for copies and scans with a credit card.
Please visit our 'Planning Your Research' page for additional information