Current Covid-19 Restrictions
Special Research Collections is currently available for holding classes or instruction (on a case-by-case basis). Please send questions to email@example.com and check our website for updates at https://www.library.ucsb.edu/special-collections.
- Explore our department's digital collections
- UCSB Library's online resources
- UCSB Library's COVID-19 response
About SRC Class Visits
Our seminar room is available primarily for UC Santa Barbara classes who are using Special Research Collections materials for research & instruction. Other groups who plan to use materials in group settings are welcome to inquire about the room's availability. Special Research Collections staff may be available for assistance or consultation as needed.
Please submit requests for a class session at least a month in advance to ensure room, staff, and materials availability. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Advance notice is not required to have your class or group view the exhibits in our front lobby.
- Our Seminar Room has limited seating available. For more information please inquire via firstname.lastname@example.org
- An instructor must be present at all times during the class session.
- If available, an SRC staff will provide a 10 min introduction.
- If applicable, SRC staff, curators, or other library representatives must supervise the class session.
- No food, drinks, pens or bags are allowed in the seminar room. These items should be stored in lobby lockers.
Requesting Group Visits
- Create a Special Collections Research Account
- Agree to the general rules and procedures
- Pre-select and/or identify general areas of materials by emailing email@example.com
- You may reach out to curatorial/area specialist staff for assistance selecting materials, arranging class dates(s), confirming instructor availability, etc. - see Curators and Staff list.
Independent Sessions (i.e. research papers, other assignments)
When assigning students to visit the Department, please notify Public Services staff or the appropriate curator with the following information:
- Instructors should contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the class syllabus or information about the class assignment
- Provide students with an overview of our Rules for Use of Special Collections Materials
- Instructors may inquire about scheduling an "Introduction to Special Research Collections" session.
- Remind all students to register online for a Special Collections Research Account before visiting the reading room
- Remind students they will need their access cards or another form of picture ID