The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material, and stipulates that such copies can be provided only under certain specified conditions. To wit, such copies are not to be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research. Thus, permission to photocopy or otherwise reproduce images does not constitute permission to publish.
If you are interested in the possibility of republishing copyrighted material from Special Collections, you will need to gain the permission of the copyright holder. For both copyrighted and public domain materials, Commercial Publication Fees may apply.
All researchers can now submit their reproduction requests online after registering using the Special Collections Research Account.
Photocopies (allow 2 weeks for delivery)
- Reading Room patrons: 10¢ per page
- All others: 25¢ per page
- Charges to fax information will be $5.00 first page, $1.00 each additional page, with a 10 page limit.
Scans of Documents or Images (allow approx. 1 week for delivery, after payment is received)
High Resolution Scans:
- Copy of existing digital image: $5 per image, plus $10 processing fee and applicable shipping charge.
- Duplication $15 per scan, plus $10 processing fee and applicable shipping charge.
- Permission to publish must be submitted, publication fees may apply
- Patrons must specify a file format, such as tiff, windows bitmap, jpeg or gif.
- High Resolutions scans are made at 600 dpi unless otherwise specified.
Black&White Low Resolution PDF scans (max 300dpi):
- Copy of existing digital image: .25 cents per page, plus $10 processing fee and applicable shipping charge.
- Duplication .50 cents per page, plus $10 processing fee and applicable shipping charge.
- Patrons are capped at $25.00 for b/w low resolution PDF scans.
- All B&W low res PDF scans are watermarked
Patrons may provide their own discs or flash drives or staff can email scanned files after payment is received. If you require a print of a photograph, please see the section on Reproductions of Photographs.
- Duplication from existing digital master: $10 per CD (allow 1 week for delivery)
- Copying of analog audiotape content (delivered as CD or mp3 file): $15 per 30 minutes of tape *(30 minute minimum) (allow 4 weeks for delivery)
- Copying of analog discs: $17 for the first side, $8 per additional side. (allow 2 weeks for delivery)
- Open reel tape, DATs, discs, and cassettes can be transferred in house. Other formats, rush orders, and large quantities may be referred to an outside vendor at the discretion of library staff and will be billed at cost. (allow 1 month for delivery)
Film & Video
- Duplication from existing analog master: $20 per VHS or S-VHS tape.*† (allow 1 week for delivery)
- Duplication of existing DVD: $10 per DVD (allow 1 week for delivery)
- Copying of analog video content (delivered as VHS or S-VHS viewing tape): $20 per 30 minutes of tape. (Half hour minimum)** † (allow 4 weeks for delivery)
- Copying of film content: Billed at cost through outside vendors. Contact staff for assistance.† (delivery times vary)
†For broadcast quality dubs, contact staff for duplication charges. Use fees apply.
*VHS and U-Matic (1/4”) tapes can be transferred in house. Other formats, rush orders, and large quantities may be referred to an outside vendor at the discretion of library staff and will be billed at cost.
Reproductions (Reprints) of Photographs (allow 2 weeks for delivery)
Reproductions of photographs held in Special Collections are available through Photographic Services in Kerr Hall. Rates vary according to the type and size of photograph. An additional $10 Special Collections processing fee will be added to all requests. Arrangements to have reproductions made can be made by contacting the Special Collections reading room staff.
If you require a digital file only, please see the section on Scans of Documents or Images.
Rates for microfilming materials are set by the Southern Regional Library Facility (or other vendor). An additional preparation fee of $50 per book or $6 per folder of manuscript material will be added to all requests. Please contact the Special Collections for more information.
Airphoto Imagery Scans (service pending)
All Rush orders must be approved by library staff.
For Photocopies: within 3 business days: add 50%
For Scans: within 3 business days: add 50%
For Audio: within 10 business days: add 50%
Shipping & Processing
Fed-Ex 2nd Day: $10
Oversized or large orders: $13
International: $25 (FedEx Only)
An additional $10 processing fee is added to each order.
Fees can be paid using credit card -online through the Special Collections Research Account. Or in US dollars with a check or money order made out to "UC Regents" and sent to the following address:
Department of Special Collections
Donald C. Davidson Library
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010
Wire transfers are also accepted.