Scholarly Communication Express
Schedule a 15-minute presentation for your department, organization, or small group. Longer and tailored presentations can be arranged upon request.
The scholarly communication and data librarians also welcome the opportunity to help individuals understand and navigate the new scholarly communication environment.
- Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory services - A brief summary of specialized library content and software tools available via the Library’s Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory. The Collaboratory offers access to a wide variety of data-oriented content, analytic tools, and specialized consultations services for quantitative and qualitative, data-driven research and teaching, across the disciplines.
- Research Data services - An overview of research data services and practices related to planning, day-to-day management, publication, and preservation. Upon request, more in-depth presentations are available on any one of the mentioned areas.
- UC Open Access Policy - A brief overview of the UC Open Access Policy, which covers the scope and goals of the policy, author rights received under the policy, publisher information, waivers, embargoes and limited information about eScholarship and the UC Publication Management System, which was acquired by UC to make compliance with the Policy simple. UC Publication Management System - Learn how to maximize the System's functions to comply with the UC Open Access Policy and manage your publications, including those covered under the Policy and others. The presentation will also touch on helpful functions beyond the scope of the Open Access Policy.
- eScholarship - This presentation covers the benefits of publishing with eScholarship and an overview of eScholarship's core services - previously published works, academic unit collections, open access journals, and electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs).
- Introduction to open access scholarly publishing - A brief introduction to open access publishing, the definition of open access, types of open access, standards, repositories, and associations.
- Creating data management plans - Learn what a data management plan is, and see how easy it is to use the DMPTool, a free online data management planning tool that you can customize by funding agency.
- Creative Commons licenses - An overview of copyright basics, Creative Commons Licenses, and how CC licenses align with academic values and the UC Open Access Policy.
- NIH public access policy compliance - An overview of what NIH grant recipients need to do to comply with the NIH public access policy that has been in effect since 2008 and updated in 2013.
- EZID accounts - Learn about a free service to easily create and manage persistent identifiers (DOI & ARKS) for digital content.
- Altmetrics - Learn about the latest ways to measure the impact and reach of your research. This presentation will touch on traditional impact factors, but will feature new metrics and tools designed for the Web environment: citations, downloads, views, social media shares, captures, and mentions.
- Q&A - This is not a formal presentation, but an opportunity to have the Scholarly Communication Librarian attend your department or group meeting to answer your questions. Questions can be presented in advance. Advance questions can also be integrated into a formal presentation, for a more tailored session.
- Special requests - Feel free to request longer or tailored presentations, including presentations on scholarly communication topics not listed. We look forward to working with departments, programs, and groups to broaden their understanding of issues and meet their information needs.