NOTICE: In response to COVID-19, we will not be offering face-to-face instruction sessions at this time. Librarians are available to provide online instructional support, in synchronous and asynchronous formats. To request online instruction from a librarian, please complete the form below a minimum of two weeks before your desired date of integration.
UCSB Library – Instruction Policy
UCSB Librarians offer a variety of options for integrating library research skills into your course. Please review the list below, and select accordingly.
General Library Orientation: Due to overwhelming demands for library instruction, all library instruction sessions must be linked to a research assignment (see Assignment-based Instruction). For general library orientation and assistance in using library resources, please refer students to:
- UCSB Library Subject and Course Guides provide overviews of the major library tools and resources for specific majors and subject areas
Meet Your Librarian: If you would like to invite a librarian to come to your classroom for a brief introduction, please contact your Subject Librarian directly.
Assignment-based Instruction Session: If you are interested in a 50 min or 75 min instruction led by a Subject Librarian in a library classroom or computer lab, please review the Library Instruction Best Practices for Faculty & Instructors.
Please observe the following additional requirements:
- Requests for instruction sessions made less than 2 weeks in advance will not be filled
- Faculty/Instructors must be present during the sessions
- Library instruction sessions will not be scheduled during the first week of a quarter
- Instruction sessions must correspond to a specific research assignment or project; students must have topics chosen or narrowed to the point that they are ready to do hands-on research
To request an Assignment-based Instruction Session, please use the form below.
Request Form: Assignment-based Instruction Sessions
Requests are filled on a first-come basis; in the event that library classrooms are already booked, you may be asked to reserve a computer lab elsewhere on campus. Instructions will be provided to you at that time.
If our librarians are unavailable, you may wish to direct students to a relevant Subject Guide.
For questions regarding a class you have already requested, please send an email to email@example.com.
Library lecture dates and times are not reserved until confirmed by a librarian instructor.
All required fields are marked with one red asterisk (*).