The Library is currently re-organizing its cartographic collections.
Spatial data is data that is easily viewable using a standard desktop GIS such as ArcMap or QGIS.
You can come to the Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory to access our extensive collections of GIS data and scanned maps. We have two network drives on our workstations:
Each of these drives contain several subdirectories with a separate category of material organized according to their own scheme.
The MIL directories contain more than 550 titles of scanned maps and geospatial data. The data in the Public Open Data folder is in the Public Domain and can be used for any purpose. UCSB-Only Data is licensed or otherwise restricted data--please check the metadata carefully and speak to an Collaboratory staff member if you have questions regarding the use of this data.
Not all of these folders are described in the Library Catalog.
Titles of particular interest are:
- 3701 E2 2014 .E8 Esri Data for Education Programs
US demographic and consumer behavior data from a variety of sources including the US Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and others, including projections out to 2019.
- 3851s A49 var U5 FrameFinder
A dataset and GIS that describes the spatial extent of MIL's massive aerial photography collection. The dataset contains centerpoints for more than 400,000 aerial photographs and information on their scale and digitization status.
- UCSB Campus Data. Annual compilations of campus vector and raster data from a variety of official sources.
- 3853.S3:282:2U5 2014 U51 Interactive Campus Map Data
- 3853.S3:282:2U5 2014 U5 Data from UCSB Facilities Management
- 3853:S3:282:2U5 G45 2010 U5 Data from UCSB Long Range Development Plan 2010
- 5551 S1 2010 .E8 Georeferenced historical vector data of Europe
One map for each century from year 1 to year 1400. These maps depict the detailed political situation of Europe at the last year of each century.
- 6737.M3s VAR .L3 Malaysia (Peninsular) national topographic city plans
Scanned and georeferenced topographic maps of peninsular Malaysia.
CD-ROM's and DVD's
A large selection of CD-ROMs and DVDs accessible via UCSB Library Search
See our GI Science Research Guide for tips on searching the catalog for spatial data
Please contact Collaboratory staff if you need help finding or using data.
More information about data both on and off campus:
- by geography (campus, city, county, state, etc.)
- by type (elevation models, georeferenced maps, demographic, etc.)
History of the Spatial Data Collections
The UCSB Library has a long history of collecting, providing access to, and developing novel search and discovery tools to spatial data.
In 2014 we assessed more than 20 years worth of collections for inclusion in the new Alexandria Digital Research Library. We are actively working to include spatial data into this new system.