Make an Account
To order reproductions, custom research or to make an appointment you will need to make a Special Collections Research Account.
Reproduction of Materials
Most US Federal Government publications in our collection are in the Public Domain and may be used, copied, and re-distributed without restriction. We may occasionally need to restrict reproduction for materials to which we do not have copy- or reproduction-rights.
Some of our aerial photographs can be found in digital format through our online map interface called FrameFinder. We are continually adding content to this tool. If FrameFinder shows that we have a frame but it has not yet been scanned, you can request that we scan the aerial photograph for you for a fee. The FrameFinder tool does not represent all of our holdings. Images found by using our full imagery catalog and the indexes may be available for free download in our image directory. For more information on scanning aerial photography, see Aerial Photography Scanning. For prices, see the Fees section below.
Custom research is available for a fee, if you prefer to have us do the searching for you. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may send you the appropriate information and forms. For Custom Research prices, see the Fee section below.
Appointments may be made to view images for research purposes and/or before ordering scans.
Maps and Atlases
At this time, we do not have the resources to scan maps or atlases. You can make an appointment to visit the collection in person and take your own photographs, however. See the information below about in-person visits.
Much of the geospatial data on our network files can be directly copied by using computers in the Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory (depending on license restrictions). Data on CDs and DVDs can be checked out for 7 days. For all inquiries about accessing geospatial data, contact the Collaboratory directly.
Patrons wishing to use reproductions of Geospatial Collection materials for either commercial/for-profit or non-profit use may be subject to permissions and usage fees. These fees are for one-time use and are in addition to royalties/licensing fees imposed by the copyright holder. See the Fees section below for current prices.
The Regents of the University of California retain ownership and reproduction rights for many of our materials, both hard-copy and digital. Copyrighted materials may need rights clearance from parties other than UCSB. It is your responsibility to obtain proper permissions for re-publication of materials. We are happy to assist in this process.
We appreciate credit for use of our materials.
Please use this format for citing aerial photography:
[Flight, frame, date. Courtesy of UCSB Library Geospatial Collection.]
Please use this format to citing other materials in our collection:
Geospatial Collection, UCSB Library, University of California, Santa Barbara
There are a variety of guidelines for citing maps, aerial photographs, GIS datasets, and other materials located in libraries and archival collections.
Viewing Materials In Person
Our aerial photography, map, and atlas collection is located on the third floor, Ocean Side of the Library. Access to the collection is by appointment only. Contact Geospatial Collection staff directly at email@example.com or (805) 893-2779 to set up an appointment.
Keep in mind the following rules when visiting the collection in person:
- Only pencils may be used around the materials
- All materials must be used in the reading room and may not be taken from the Department.
- No food or beverages are allowed near the materials.
- The researcher is responsible for careful handling of all materials. Do not lean on, write on, fold, trace over, or handle materials in a way that may damage them.
- Photocopying services for aerial photographs are not provided at this time. Scanning is the only available option for reproducing aerial photographs.
- Staff may photocopy portions of maps at their discretion, depending on copyright law and/or potential damage to the materials.
- In most cases, photography of materials is allowed after permission by staff has been granted.
- Permission to photograph does not constitute permission to publish. (Title 17, U.S. Code)
- Photography must not disturb other users or staff.
- The UCSB Library reserves the right to deny permission to photograph if, in its judgement, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law or donor agreements.
Most materials in the Geospatial Collection cannot be checked out. CDs and DVDs can be checked out for seven days by first requesting access at the Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory. The general Library collection does have geospatial books and atlases that can be checked out according to general Library loan policies.
Inter-Library Loans (ILL) are generally from UC map library to UC map library. Geospatial Collection materials sent out on ILL are, with the exception of CDs/DVDs, for in-house use only.
Fees can be paid using a credit card online through the Special Collections Research Account.
Aerial Photography Fees
NOTE: We are currently unable to process any scan requests. Please make use of our directory of scanned images for existing digital content, linked here http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_images/ if you are unable to find available scans in our FrameFinder.
Many of our aerial photographs have been scanned and are generally available online for free download. For reproduction requests, a $10 processing fee will apply in addition to the scanning fee for each TIFF. Multiple requests submitted on the same day will be charged only one processing fee.
- Standard 600ppi TIFF file: $20
- Processing fee: $10
- Oversize image (larger than 11” on any side): $50
- Custom research done by staff: $60/hour, 2 hour max
Commercial Re-publication Use Fees
- Cover illustrations, ads, or non-editorial: $300
- Editorial or interior use: $70
- Internet: $70
- Broadcasting: $250
Non-Profit Re-publication Use Fees
Re-publication for non-profit use requires the submission of a form. Please contact staff for more information.
- Cover illustrations, ads, or non-editorial: $150
- Editorial or interior use: $35
- Internet: $35
- Broadcasting: $125