- Researchers must fill out and sign an application form once each academic quarter, and must provide acceptable photo identification.
- All personal belongings — briefcases, backpacks, handbags, etc. — must be placed in lockers provided in the lobby. Coats and hats should be kept on the coat tree in the lobby.
- Only no. 2 pencils or laptops may be used. All laptops are subject to inspection before entering the Reading Room. Laptop bags must be left in the lockers.
- All materials are kept in closed stacks and are paged for you by staff.
- All material must be used in the Reading Room and may not be taken from the department.
- Absolutely NO food or beverages (water included) are allowed in the Reading Room or in the seminar room.
- The researcher is responsible for the careful handling of all material. Do not rearrange papers. Manuscripts and books may not be leaned on, written on, folded, traced over, or handled in any way that may damage them.
- Permission to photocopy or scan is decided on an item-by-item basis, and is done by staff, as time permits. No more than 10% of any item may be copied. Permission to photocopy does not constitute permission to publish.
All users must agree to these terms and fill out a Special Collections Research Application to use the collections. The form is available at our registration desk and may be filled out at the time of your visit.