Most recent catalogs starting from 2006/2007 to the current year are available online. Microfilm copies from 1916-2004 are available in the Main Library for patron use. They can be found in the Microfilm Area LD781.S3 U55. The University Archives in the Department of Special Collections has copies of the General Catalog from 1916 to the most current issue. Please follow the instructions below to obtain course descriptions.
The Department of Special Collections does not have copies of course syllabuses. These sometimes can be obtained from the individual departments. We also do not have access to student records and/or transcripts, nor can we answer questions on course policies, grading, etc. For these issues please contact the UCSB Office of the Registrar.
To obtain course descriptions by email or by mail, please follow the below instructions:
1. Create a Special Collections Research Account: http://researchspecial.library.ucsb.edu/logon/
2. Click on the 'Published Materials' button on the left hand bar below 'New Reproductions Request.'
3. Fill in the following information in the 'Describe the item you want' section:
- Title: General Catalog
- Date: the Academic school year or quarter & year taken for desired course descriptions, i.e. 2004/2005 or Spring 2005
- Call Number: LD781.S3 U55
4. Under the 'Reproduction Information' section be sure to include:
- Inclusive Pages: include course number(s) and title(s) - i.e. ENG 10, Introduction to Literary Study
- Format: choose PDF for email deliver, photocopy for mail delivery
- Shipping: will depend on format
5. If you have various course descriptions spanning many years, please create a new reproduction request for each year but you can include the different courses needed for that particular year, under the 'Special Requests/Questions?' section.
For reproduction and shipping rates, please see our Overview of Duplication Fees.
Requests can also be made by submitting the same above information on our contact form.
Requests can also be made in-person at our Reference Desk. Copies are made with a library copy card or paid online using the Special Collections Research Account and are usually available by the following business day.
Overview of Fees
In-person request for photocopies: $0.10 per page
Phone and email requests for photocopies: $0.25 per page
Shipping fee: $7 USPS; $25 FedEx international
Processing fee: $10
$5 for first page and $1 for each additional page (5 pages limit).
$10 processing fee
Fees should be paid by check or money order made out to “UC Regents” and mailed to:
Department of Special Collections
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106