Don't see what you are looking for? Don't forget to check the library catalog. You may also %20milrefdesk [at] library [dot] ucsb [dot] edu (email us) about maps of interest to you, and we will check the collection.
- USGS Map Locator (Google Maps interface)
- Go here for downloads of geoPDF versions of ALL editions of ALL scales of USGS topo maps.
- See below for lists of paper California USGS topo maps available in MIL.
- Graphical Locator of California
- From the Environmental Statistics Group at Montana State University, this map of California will tell you the 7.5' (1:24,000) quadrangle name and other information for any location you click on.
- National Atlas Map Locator
USGS Topographic Quadrangle Maps of California
All USGS topographic maps (all scales, all editions) of California are available online directly from the USGS Map Locator. The lists below describe paper maps that are in the MIL collection
- 7.5' (1:24,000) Quadrangles (these are pdf files)
- 15' (1:62,500 or 1:63,360) (pdf)
- 30' (1:125,000) (pdf)
- 6' (1:24,000) Los Angeles County series (pdf)
- Central Valley 1:31,680 series
- Santa Ana River Area Series (1:31,680)
Online sites to freely view CA Topos
- Alexandria Digital Library
- Digital Raster Graphics (DRGs) of 7.5' (1:24,000) USGS topographic maps compatible with GIS software.
- Bay Area historical topographic maps
- 15' and 30' historic quadrangles from the San Francisco Bay area.
- Broer Map Library - California USGS Maps
- Scanned maps from a private collection. No index.
- California 30- & 60-minute Historic USGS Topographic Maps
- From UC Berkeley.
- California Digital Raster Graphics - California Spatial Information Library (CaSIL)
- Chico Merriam Library California Historic Topographic Map Collection
- Historic Topographic Maps of California - San Francisco Bay Area
- Los Angeles County, 6-Minute Series [Topographic]
- Los Angeles County, 6-Minute Series [Topographic] indexes
- Los Angeles County Historical Topographic Maps
- Monterey Bay Area Historic USGS Topographic Maps
Other Formats for USGS Topographic Maps
- MIL has a full set of National Geographic Topo! CD-ROMs. (We also have other Western states. Search the catalog with the words "national geographic seamless cdrom" to see them all.)
- ArcGIS users can connect to a web mapping server at ESRI to use seamless 1:24,000, 1:100,000, and 1:250,000 topographic maps for the entire country.