The following is a brief description of location codes you will encounter in the online library catalog.
Music Collection Locations (Onsite)
- Stacks: main collection, mostly circulating materials
- Miniatures: “pocket” or “study” scores, shelved to the far left (South) side of the stacks
- Oversize: larger-sized materials; scores are shelved at the back left (Southeast) side, and books at the middle right (Northeast) side of the stacks
- Folio: very large score materials shelved at the back left (Southeast) side of the stacks behind the Music Librarian's office
- Reference: non-circulating dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., shelved at the entrance to the stacks area
- Music Service Desk: sound and video recordings; for in-library use only. (Please note that our entire LP collection is now housed off-site; see below for requesting these materials.)
- Cage: special collection materials for in-library use only. Please inquire at the Music Service Desk; items must be retrieved from closed stacks.
- Goethe Collection: Please inquire at the Music Service Desk; items must be retrieved from closed stacks.
Music Collection materials stored off-site may be obtained by submitting electronic forms:
- LP (vinyl) collection: request through the online catalog UCSB Library Search and check out from the Music Library Service Desk. Minimum of 24-hours notice required.
- Interlibrary Loans: may be requested via UC Library Search or the Interlibrary Loan manual request form. Delivery times vary.
New Library Materials
Newly-received books and scores are shelved on the New Books shelves in the reading area for two weeks or so. Current issues of selected journals are displayed in the Current Periodicals area.