The following is a brief description of location codes you will encounter in the online library catalog.
Music Collection Locations (Onsite)
- Stacks: main collection, mostly circulating materials
- Miniatures: “pocket” or “study” scores, shelved to the far left side of the stacks
- Oversize: larger materials shelved at the back left side (scores) or middle right side (books) of the stacks
- Folio: very large score materials shelved at the left side of the stacks behind the Assistant Librarian's office
- Reference: non-circulating dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., shelved at the entrance to the stacks area
- Music Service Desk: sound and video recordings; for in-library use only. (Please note that our entire LP collection is now housed off-site; see below for requesting these materials.)
- Cage: special collection materials for in-library use only. Please inquire at the Music Service Desk; items must be retrieved from closed stacks.
- Goethe Collection: Please inquire at the Music Service Desk; items must be retrieved from closed stacks.
Music collection materials stored off site may be obtained by submitting electronic forms:
- Annex: via UCSB Library Search or Annex Request Form; retrieved twice weekly
- SRLF (Southern Regional Library Facility): via Melvyl or Interlibrary Loan
New Library Materials
New books and scores are shelved in the reading area for two weeks or so. Current issues of selected journals are displayed in the Current Periodicals area.