About the Sciences-Engineering Library
The Sciences-Engineering Library (SEL) is located on the 2nd floor of Davidson Library and contains collections related to the natural and applied sciences, engineering, and technology. Call numbers in this area of the library are G-GE and Q-Z.
Library Renovation Update: During library construction the Sciences-Engineering collection is limited in size. We have attempted to keep the most heavily used materials available in the library including the science reference collection, books on topics of local interest, and all books and journals published after 2004. These materials are located on the second floor across from the main elevators. For the duration of the project, all other SEL materials may be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
Future Plans: After construction is finished, the Sciences-Engineering collection, including materials currently in storage, will return to the second floor in the renovated building.
Both now and into the future the Sciences-Engineering collection will include both print and electronic formats that best meet the needs of library users. The library catalog shows all available formats and provides links to electronic sources.
- SEL Reference Collection: This area includes reference books, indexes and abstracts, and the oversized books for science and engineering.
- SEL Stacks: The majority of the collection is stored in the SEL stacks (or bookshelves). Call numbers start behind the SEL desk and continue into the two-story part of the building.
- Current Serials: Located on the lower level of the 1st floor, this area houses current journals, magazines, and newspapers for all call numbers in the SEL Library and the Main Library. There are also photocopiers located here.
- 2nd Floor Help Desk: There is a help desk located at the top of the main staircase on the 2nd floor.
- Science Librarians: You can get specialized research assistance by contacting one of our science librarians.
- Main Desk or Ask a Librarian: When the 2nd Floor Help Desk is closed, you can also ask for assistance at the main reference desk on the 1st floor or through our Ask a Librarian service.
- There are public computers and a print station located in SEL.
- There are also study carrels located in the SEL area.