Black Studies Center
Campus access only
The Black Studies Center (BSC) combines several resources for research and teaching in Black Studies:
- The Chicago Defender (1910-1975) - a widely read & influential black newspaper which features local, national & international coverage & commentary on events of import to the Black diaspora. The database includes text & image backfiles.
- The International Index to Black Periodicals (IIBP) - includes cover coverage of U.S., African, & Caribbean periodicals. Citations, abstracts & selected full text articles are included.
- Black Literature Index - provides citations to fiction, poetry and literary reviews published in 110 black periodicals and newspapers from 1827-1940.
- Disserations file - contains 1000 doctoral diss & masters' theses, written from 1970-2004, selected for their relevance to black studies.
- Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience - a databases of essays on important black studies themes and issues.