New user? -- The first time you use this database you need to register for an account. Use the SciFinder Registration Information link above the description to access registration information.
SciFinder provides user friendly interfaces for searching by author, topic or chemical substance in the Chemical Abstracts Service databases:
- Over 33 million document records of the CAPLUS file, from 1907 to present, and selected records from before 1907, covering journal articles, patents, conference papers, technical reports, dissertations and more.
- Over 120 million substance records of the CAS REGISTRY file (over 59 million organic and inorganic "small molecules" and over 62 million polypeptide and polynucleotide sequences), with links to commercial availability information and regulatory information for many substances, and an ever-growing array of calculated and experimental property data for many substances.
- Over 45 million single and multi-step organic reaction records of the CASREACT file.
- Over 800,000 searchable Markush structures from the chemical patents of the MARPAT file.
- It also searches the MEDLINE database of over 17 million records from the world's biomedical literature.
SciFinder includes Java applet structure drawing tools for structure and substructure searching of chemicals and reactions, and similarity searching of organic compounds.
Hours of access: 5 am PST Sunday to 3 pm PST Saturday
Note: At present, UCSB users share 36 ports with the entire UC system. Please logout as soon as you have finished your searches to free up your port for other users!
SciFinder Mobile Access
SciFinder Mobile is now available to current UCSB students, faculty and staff using the Apple iOS, Google Android OS, RIM Blackberry OS, or Nokia Maemo and Symbian OS.
- You must first be registered for the SciFinder Web version (see above.)
- No separate app is required - just use your smartphone's web browser to go to http://scifinder.cas.org. SciFinder will automatically detect that you are coming from a smartphone are redirect you to SciFinder Mobile.
- No proxy server or VPN connection is required for IP authentication.
- SciFinder Mobile access does not take up any of the 36 seats allocated for UC users. SciFinder Mobile allows searching by Research Topic, Substance Identifier, Author Name, or Company Name. You can also review Saved Answer Sets or Keep Me Posted alert answer sets. It does not, at present, allow structure searching, or link to full text electronic documents.
- Note: SciFinder Mobile does not work with the Apple iPad. Logging into SciFinder on the iPad will take you to the regular SciFinder Web version. Note that structure searching is not available on the iPad, as the Apple iOS is not presently compatible with Java.