You can come to MIL or the Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory to access our extensive collections of GIS data and scanned maps. Two network folders on our workstations provide you with public domain and semi-restricted data.
Each of these directories contains several subdirectories with a separate category of material organized according to their own scheme:
- Imagery: Raster data ready for use in a GIS. Organized by folders named with the originator of the imagery. This folder hierarchy includes historic aerial photographs that have been georerferenced by MIL or research partners.
- LCC: Library of Congress Classification. These are primarily maps that have been scanned from books.
- MIL: MIL Classification. This is the meat of the collection. More than 550 titles of vector and raster geospatial data and scanned maps. Plus disk images of pulled off of legacy media from the 1970s through early 2000s.
- SuDoc: Federal Depository call numbers. These materials are federal reports and publications either deposited to UCSB or captured from the web. Primarily USGS PDF's of local interest.
The MIL directories contain more than 550 titles of scanned maps and geospatial data. The data in the DataCollection is in the Public Domain and can be used for any purpose. DataCollection_restricted is licensed or otherwise restricted data--please check the metadata carefully and speak to an MIL staff member if you have questions regarding the use of this data. Not all of these folders are described in the Library Catalog. Titles of particular interest are:
- 3701 E2 2014 .E8 Esri Data for Education Programs
US demographic and consumer behavior data from a variety of sources including the US Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and others, including projections out to 2019.
- 3851s A49 var U5 FrameFinder
A dataset and GIS that describes the spatial extent of MIL's massive aerial photography collection. The dataset contains centerpoints for more than 400,000 aerial photographs and information on their scale and digitization status.
- UCSB Campus Data. Annual compilations of campus vector and raster data from a variety of official sources.
- 3853.S3:282:2U5 2014 U51 Interactive Campus Map Data
- 5551 S1 2010 .E8 Georeferenced historical vector data of Europe
One map for each century from year 1 to year 1400. These maps depict the detailed political situation of Europe at the last year of each century.
- 6737.M3s VAR .L3 Malaysia (Peninsular) national topographic city plans
Scanned and georeferenced topographic maps of peninsular Malaysia.
Don't forget: we also have a giant CD-ROM collection.