You can come to MIL and browse our extensive nearline collections of GIS data and scanned maps. As we work on developing the Alexandria Digital Research Library into a platform for the entire Library's digital collections, we have posted two network directories to our two public workstations in MIL as well as the Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory. Reservations are encouraged in MIL. Each of these directories contains several subdirectories with a separate category of material organized according to their own scheme:
- Imagery: Organized by folder name. This is primarily legacy and historical satellite imagery.
- LCC: Library of Congress Classification. These are primarily maps that have been scanned from books.
- MIL: MIL Classification. This is the meat of the collection. Vector and raster geospatial data and scanned maps. Plus disk images of pulled off of legacy media from the 1970s through early 2000s.
- SuDoc: Federal Depository call numbers. These materials are federal reports and publications either deposited to UCSB or captured from the web. Primarily USGS PDF's of local interest.
The MIL directories contain about 400 titles of scanned maps and geospatial data. The data in the DataCollection is in the Public Domain and can be used for any purpose. DataCollection_restricted is licensed or otherwise restricted data--please check the metadata carefully and speak to an MIL staff member if you have questions regarding the use of this data. Not all of these folders are described in the Library Catalog. Titles of particular interest are:
- 3701 E2 2014 .E8 Esri Data for Education Programs
US demgraphic and consumer behavior data from a variety of sources including the US Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and others, including projections out to 2019.
- 3851s A49 var U5 FrameFinder
A dataset and GIS that describes the spatial extent of MIL's massive aerial photography collection. The dataset contains centerpoints for more than 300,000 aerial photographs and information on their scale and digitization status.
- UCSB Campus Data. Annual compilations of campus vector and raster data from a variety of official sources.
- 3853.S3:282:2U5 2014 U51 Interactive Campus Map Data
- 5551 S1 2010 .E8 Georeferenced historical vector data of Europe
One map for each century from year 1 to year 1400. These maps depict the detailed political situation of Europe at the last year of each century.
- 6737.M3s VAR .L3 Malaysia (Peninsular) national topographic city plans
Scanned and georeferenced topographic maps of peninsular Malaysia.
Don't forget: we also have a giant CD-ROM collection.