This policy defines the nature of the UCSB Library's exhibitions and the procedures governing these exhibitions.
The UCSB Library Exhibitions Committee plans and oversees a rotating roster of exhibitions in the UCSB Library that showcase Library holdings and collections and/or enhance the cultural and intellectual life of the University and the larger community. In particular, the UCSB Library is committed to presenting a high-quality exhibitions program that supports the teaching and research mission of the University. Preference is given to exhibitions that connect to the UCSB curriculum, faculty and student research, campus organizations and events, and/or current events. The Exhibitions Committee is responsible for all exhibitions displayed in the UCSB Library and is chaired by the Events & Exhibitions Librarian.
The Exhibitions Committee is comprised of Library employees and charged with overseeing all exhibitions in the Library, including making procedural decisions related to exhibition spaces, content, installation, and security; reviewing and approving exhibition proposals; seeking out exhibition ideas and partners; creating an exhibitions calendar; and managing exhibition supplies and resources.
The following areas are the current and approved exhibition areas in the UCSB Library.
- First Floor Gallery
- Tower Gallery, First Floor
- Special Collections
- First Floor Display Case
The Exhibitions Committee must consider any requests to display in areas not currently included in the list of exhibitions areas.
See Public Space Policy (http://www.library.ucsb.edu/about-library/library-public-space-policy) for rules governing the use of Library spaces by the public, including requests to conduct performance art, display or distribute literature in or immediately in front of the Library, or book rooms for meetings or events.
- Exhibitions are selected based on:
- Breadth of appeal
- Educational content
- Timeliness to current and campus events
- Relation of materials to the campus and wider community
- Opportunity for presentation of companion public programming
- Scheduling constraints. Proposed exhibitions must fit into the Library planning calendar
- Reinforcement of the Library’s strategic and development goals
- Quality and aesthetic value
- Thematic integrity
- Exhibitions are designed to showcase UCSB Library holdings and will primarily contain materials from its collections.
- All exhibitions are temporary.
- The Exhibitions Committee, chaired by the Events & Exhibitions Librarian, oversees and is responsible for all exhibitions. The Committee makes final determinations about all exhibition content.
- Exhibitions are curated by Library staff or in cooperation with faculty, students, or campus groups.
- The Library is committed to presenting diverse points of view and to the principles of academic freedom.
- The Library’s primary purpose is to provide our users with access to collections and services. Exhibitions may not compromise the privacy of staff and users or disrupt or harm the facility, collections, or visitors.
Exhibition Installation and Security:
- The Library does not provide any special security in its exhibition areas, except in Special Collections, which is staffed at all times that the room is open to the public. Exhibitions outside of Special Collections should not contain material of high value or unique or rare materials. Digital surrogates should be exhibited when at all possible. Artists who loan their work for exhibit in the Library are required to sign an indemnification form.
- Exhibitions must fit into the display cases and wall spaces provided. Free-standing exhibitions or the addition of computer monitors or supplementary materials will need to be approved by the Exhibitions Committee in consultation with the campus fire marshal.
- Materials that are on loan from staff, faculty, students, or campus organizations are displayed at the risk of the lending party. The Library does not provide any insurance for materials on display or assume any responsibility for the loss, theft of, or damage to any materials on exhibition.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact Alex Regan, Events and Exhibitions Librarian, at (805) 893-3605 or aregan [at] library [dot] ucsb [dot] edu.