I. PURPOSE OF THE COLLECTION
- The UCSB Davidson Library collects, manages, and provides access to the collection of literature in global peace and security fields to support the research and curricular programs of the Global Peace and Security Program. The UCSB Global and International Studies Program on campus is the coordinating and administrative unit for academic programs in international studies, global studies, and cultural area studies. It is the administrative home for the major in Islamic and Near Eastern Studies and for the minors in Global Peace and Security and Jewish Studies. It supports research, activities, and community outreach programs in these areas and provides a coordinating center for programs related to international studies throughout the campus. A minor in the program offers students an opportunity of complementing their major relating to contemporary international affairs and policy issues. Students may also earn a certificate in Global Peace and Security Studies. The primary clientele are the students, faculty, and staff of the Global Peace and Security Program. In addition, other UCSB students, faculty, staff as well as community members use this collection of research materials. In general, the collection activity for the interdisciplinary collection is at the research/study level.
Areas of study concentration include theory and practice of nonviolence; global conflict; people, poverty and the environment; third world environment; peoples and cultures of India; environmental justice; atomic age; history and culture of East Asia; American foreign policy; politics and religion of Jerusalem; development and change in Latin America; social analysis of terrorism; world systems; Black politics in America; and sociology of development.
Please note: This is a Preliminary Statement.
II. SCOPE OF COVERAGE
- A. Languages.
- Primarily English language publications, with some French, Spanish, German, and Italian as necessary.
- B. Chronological Limits.
- Primarily modern history coverage with emphasis on twentieth century.
- C. Date of Publication.
- Primarily recent publications dates, although older publication dates when appropriate.
- D. Geographical Areas.
- Primarily covers world areas, with emphasis on East Asia, Middle East, Europe, and Latin American areas.
- E. Place of Publication.
- Primarily acquires publications from throughout the world with emphasis on publishers from the United States and other areas whose primary language is English.
- F. Types of Publishers.
- Primarily acquires publications from scholarly, research, and university presses and specialized international and peace publishers.
III. TYPES OF MATERIALS
- Most materials acquired and/or subscribed to are primarily in the form of monographs and serials. In addition, Government Publications including United States, international agencies, and foreign country government publications are used extensively and are acquired and/or subscribed to by the Government Publications collections managers. Computerized data bases are used via online systems and cd-roms are acquired and or subscribed to as appropriate.
- Antiquarian materials, manuscripts, and audiovisual materials are not generally purchased.
IV. INTERDISCIPLINARY RELATIONS
- Global Peace and Security is probably one of the most interdisciplinary fields in the social sciences and area studies. It relates directly to anthropology, Black Studies, East Asian studies, economics, environmental studies, history, Latin American studies, military science, political science, psychology, sociology, urban studies, and women's studies.
V. OTHER SOURCES
- A. University of California-Stanford University Consortium (shared collections and acquisitions program). Participates in the UC-Stanford University shared collections program.
- B. Sources outside U. C. Participates in Interlibrary Loan program.
VI. INTERNET AND WEB SOURCES
- Selects and provides access to global peace and security resources.
- GLOBAL PEACE AND SECURITY RESOURCES
Author: Sally Willson Weimer.
Policy Last Updated: October 2004