Cataloging and Metadata Services (CMS) is composed of five units: Special Collections Cataloging, Special Projects, Database Maintenance, Government Publications Cataloging, and Copy Cataloging. The original catalogers and the metadata librarian are also members of this department.
Cataloging and Metadata Services supports user access to library resources in multiple ways:
- Provides cataloging and metadata for general, special, and digital collections, including art, government publications, music, media, and UCSB dissertations in all subject areas, in many languages, and in various formats
- Provides consistent forms of names, titles, and subjects to bring related works and concepts together in the catalog (authority control)
- Maintains the catalog, correcting catalog errors, adding copies and volumes, and synchronizing the UCSB catalog with Melvyl (the all-UC catalog)
- Maintains the collection, adding and withdrawing copies and volumes, transferring materials to the Southern Regional Library Facility (SRLF)
- Coordinates cataloging and metadata standards, policies, and procedures with local, UC systemwide, and national requirements