The UCSB Library encourages the use of its public spaces for intellectual, social, cultural, and creative use and welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with campus organizations. The Library can offer limited public space in UCSB Library buildings to individual students and groups. Examples of public displays that will be considered (referred to collectively in this policy as “Displays”) are exhibits, art work, collection bins, performance art, class projects, and other activities that support the research, teaching, and cultural life of UCSB and align with the Library’s mission. Displays sponsored by non-University organizations or persons will not be considered.
At this time the Library has no bookable rooms available for meetings, presentations, or Displays.
There are currently no bulletin boards or countertops within the Library available for the distribution of flyers, leaflets, brochures, posters, etc. Literature found posted on the walls of the Library—including on doors, windows, in staircases and bathroom stalls—will be removed. To post literature on the kiosk directly in front of the Library, permission must be granted by the Office of Student Life.
In accordance with UCSB Policy (http://www.sa.ucsb.edu/regulations/), the following activities are not permitted in the Library:
- Display of commercial advertisements, posters, and literature
- Tabling or distribution of literature, food/drink, etc. on the stairs or landings immediately in front of the Library.
The UCSB Library is committed to maintaining a safe and neutral facility for quiet and collaborative study, research, and information access. Displays may not disrupt, obstruct, or harm Library users, staff, services, and resources.
Individuals and organizations requesting the temporary use of Library display space are asked to review the following guidelines and complete the attached application. Requests for display space will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications should be submitted with any supporting documentation by email to outreach [at] library [dot] ucsb [dot] edu.
- Library staff is not responsible for transport, installation, maintenance, security, storage, and removal of Displays.
- Supporting equipment should be provided by the exhibitor, when possible.
- Exhibitors must set up and remove Displays in accordance with the dates approved on the permission form.
- Exhibitors are responsible for their work and agree not to hold the Library liable for any loss, theft, or vandalism. The Library will provide no special security or security personnel.
- Displays cannot restrict traffic flow within the Library. Building exits and entrances must be kept clear.
- Displays cannot threaten the privacy and confidentiality of Library users and Library user activity.
- All materials shall clearly indicate the name of the sponsoring campus organization(s) or individual(s) and provide contact information.
Application & Approval
Applications should be submitted by email with any additional attachments to outreach [at] library [dot] ucsb [dot] edu. Applications can also be submitted in hard copy at the UCSB Library Reference/Information desk.
Final approval for Displays will be made by the Library’s Outreach Department in accordance with this Policy and general UCSB Campus Policies. A response will usually be provided within 5-7 business days of receipt of an application.
Please direct all questions to outreach [at] library [dot] ucsb [dot] edu or 805-893-2674.
Updated: January 17, 2013